"Stupid is as stupid does"- Forrest Gump
North Carolina's HB2 bill
Stupid is as stupid does. This is how I feel about N.C Governor McCrory and the N.C legislature putting HB2 (House Bill 2) on the books in March 2016. Since the bill was signed into law, my birth state of North Carolina and residence for the past twenty-plus years have become a laughing stock for the rest of the Nation due to the silly law that states among other things that a transgender person must use the bathroom according to their birth certificate, not according to how they identify.
HB2 is stupid, and unnecessary and makes the state of North Carolina a laughing stock for the rest of the United States.
Why HB2 is stupid
Here are the issues I have with the HB2 law (in no particular order).
- Transgender folks using the bathrooms of their choice wasn't an issue until Governor McCrory and the Republican NC senate made it an issue.
- There are no specific issues of a transgender person attacking/harassing others while using a Men's/Women's bathroom.
- There is no way to enforce this "law". Transgender individuals have been using the bathroom of their choice for years and will continue to do so.
- One of the big arguments from the far right is they think without this must-have conservative law perverted males will have a loophole to easily go into a women's bathroom and do perverted things to their wives, daughters, granddaughters, etc. Well, it is and has always been illegal for males to enter a women's bathroom so nothing has changed there.
- Due to this discrimination law that was passed in North Carolina, many entertainers have canceled scheduled shows (Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Maroon 5 among others). Businesses that were going to relocate or expand in North Carolina changed their minds and millions of dollars have been lost in conventions that went elsewhere.
- The NBA recently decided to move the 2017 Allstar game from Charlotte due to HB2. A loss of over $100 million dollars to the State's economy.
- Many businesses across North Carolina and the USA have come out and made statements against HB2 as being bad for business.
One of the major roles of a state governor is to promote the state to people and businesses who may be interested in moving to that state. North Carolina will no longer be attractive to outside businesses and people living in other states due to this stupid law.
HB2 should be repealed immediately!
We live in a world of constant consternation and ever-present danger. Every day it seems there is something new. A mass shooting here, the death of police offers there, and a domestic terrorist attack now and again for good measure. The last thing we need is more separation and division among our people. HB2 is a law of discrimination. It divides the great state of North Carolina and it is a law that needs to be repealed. There is no other option!
Please take the time to read the stupid HB2 [PDF]bill and make sure you tell Governor McCrory how much he is hurting North Carolina.
I am a web developer and blogger living in Durham, North Carolina. Technical specialties include WordPress and Drupal Development, HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, PHP and MySQL. I also dabble in SEO. When I am not working on websites or SEO I enjoy music, art, sports, movies, and being a foodie.
View all posts
[…] law was passed by the state legislature early in the year called HB2. I felt this bill was wrong and stupid from the beginning. The fallout from this bill made North Carolina a joke to the rest of the nation […]
[…] it necessary to keep “women and children safe”. The truth of the matter is the bill in no way keeps anyone more or less safe than before the bill was passed. North Carolina became an embarrassment and laughing stock to the […]
[…] first wrote about HB2 and the fallout last year. North Carolina has taken a big hit financially through the loss of […]